What does the surveyor in the aviation industry
Anyone who is familiar with the concept of "surveyor", mainly connects it with maritime freight. But this specific type of service is also in demand in other industries - in the sphere of supply, supplies, consulting, air transport. Let's look at when and why we need the services of a surveyor in aviation.
When you need survey services in aviation
Aircraft flying always carries certain risks, anything can happen in the sky.
Consider one of the areas of survey activity, those situations where it is in the interests of the insurer to invite an experienced expert to objectively investigate the situation.
So it could be:
- an incident aboard the ship when a passenger or crew member dies;
- damage to the aircraft with the need to repair or replace the damaged item;
- loss of an aircraft without a trace or a situation where access to it is impossible;
- a catastrophe that caused human casualties, as well as the loss of people carrying news;
- an aviation incident when the proper functioning of the aircraft is disrupted;
- various damage to the aircraft on the ground;
- death of a person who voluntarily entered the board;
- death of crew members or passengers as a result of the forced landing of the aircraft;
- the case of the hijacking of an aircraft, as well as its seizure with the intention of hijacking.
Benefit of attracting a surveyor for insurers
The work of such an expert is so painstaking, responsible and important for the client that his services are very expensive. So why invite such an expensive specialist? Especially if in your case it is not a major plane crash or a resonant emergency. As practice shows, it is beneficial to the insurer, even if the insured event is minor. Because an independent surveyor will conduct a thorough investigation and submit a detailed report that has legal force. If it comes to court, then it is almost impossible to prove one’s case without such a survey certificate.
In some cases, the insurer may refuse to pay the insurance indemnity. But since such a radical decision may affect the reputation of the insurance company, you should first seek the help of an expert to firmly substantiate the refusal.
It’s just that not everyone correctly understands the role of a qualified surveyor in an accident investigation and underestimates its capabilities. In Western countries, this cooperation with survey organizations is a common practice for its own benefit and business security, minimizing potential losses.
How does the surveyor work? He must objectively and independently investigate all the circumstances of the incident, establish in detail the facts related to the interests of the parties. The expert must:
- inspect damage;
- assess the need and degree of difficulty of the upcoming repair;
- in the event of the death of the aircraft to confirm this fact;
- prevent a conflict of interest (the surveyor does not work simultaneously on the instructions of the two parties);
- assess the level of financial claims, their validity;
- Express your reasoned opinion, suggest the best ways to repair damage.
To thoroughly investigate an accident, we need high qualifications, extensive engineering knowledge, erudition. An experienced surveyor will help to understand all aspects - the causes of the event, the nature of the damage, the legal nuances.So from the point of view of economic benefits, when claims for an impressive amount are to be settled, the insurer cannot do without the services of such a specialist. An insurer may also invite an independent expert. This is in his interest.
No less difficult is the work of investigating accidents and incidents if damage has been caused to human health or a fatal accident has occurred. This should be done by a professional with a capital letter.
Practical use of the surveyor
Take a specific example, quite ordinary. At the airport after landing the aircraft engine damage was found, which is why the flight was canceled. Airlines had to send the engine to the repair plant. And repairs at the plant are much more expensive than on the basis of the airline visiting team of the same company.
Specialists of the survey organization have agreed on methods for restoring and admitting to operation with lower costs precisely on the basis of the airline. Let's compare - the savings in the end amounted to about 25 thousand dollars, and the services of a surveyor cost 1700 dollars.
What to look for when choosing a surveyor
Keep in mind that in the CIS countries and in Ukraine, the regulatory framework for survey services is poorly developed. So can you trust the surveyors? Inviting a specialist, draw up an agreement on surveyor services or on the provision of survey services. This document will spell out the powers and obligations of the expert, his responsibility. If you need a surveyor, pay attention to a few points:
- cost of services;
- qualifications in the field of aviation technology - in addition to specialized education and in-depth knowledge, the expert must have sufficient investigative experience and positive statistics on successful transactions;
- reputation survey organization, experience in this area - study the sites of similar companies with information about their activities, ask for customer reviews, listen to the recommendations of those who turned to survey companies.
And a few more points. Practice shows that when choosing a surveyor, even the geographical factor is important - the plus will be the close location of the expert to the scene. After all, he works mainly on the scene, conducts inspection of the vessel.Sometimes they also invite a second surveyor, who will deal with issues of loss and fraud prevention. This is relevant at the investigation stage, when the causes of damage to the aircraft are found out, and the degree of difficulty of the upcoming repairs is determined.
The advantages of inviting domestic surveyors are not only at much more affordable rates for their services. Foreign experts will have to further clarify the nuances of operation and limitations of aviation technology.
Of course, the experience of providing services to foreign surveyors is much greater and their reputation is higher, therefore, large companies often turn to foreign experts.
Consider all aspects that are important to you before making your choice. If you are aimed at keeping up with the times, striving for international standards, then the question of whether to invite a surveyor does not arise for you. Definitely - yes. But before choosing a specific company, carefully study the market for survey services and decide on the candidacy of a specialist who is useful for you.
Real air crashes, captured by cameras - from funny to tragic: