The development of company staff. How to organize an effective process?
Whatstaff development? The phrase is familiar and often used, but what exactly is this process, how relevant is it, and how to organize it effectively? This will be discussed in the article.
Staff development in the organization
Today, any competent leader understands that trained and motivated staff will provide not only well-established work and economic efficiency of the company, but also a competitive advantage in the market.
So, the staff constantly requires training and professional development.
In the world's leading corporations (Apple, IBM, Chevron, Google, General Motors, Microsoft) they spend impressive amounts of money on staff development, including organizing their own corporate universities.
But HR-service employees, whose duties include personnel development, must understand an important thing: the professionalism of employees, their experience is not all.The very attitude to work, motivation of staff, loyalty, a sense of belonging to a single cohesive team is important.
In general, dear Eychary, the task is not easy for you - to organize work in such a way that the personnel development system gives a tangible result.
Staff development system
To understand how to build a staff development system that really gives a tangible impact, let's clearly define which tasks are to be solved.
The complex of measures aimed at professional and personal growth of employees includes actions to:
- development of development strategy - what goals we will achieve in the future;
- planning the needs of the company in staff;
- objective comprehensive assessment of personnel;
- adaptation of new employees;
- training and staff development;
- retraining - that is, in essence, obtaining a second education and mastering a new specialty;
- employee potential research;
- rotation and delegation of authority;
- employee career planning, creating a clear career development system;
- decrease in staff turnover.
The purpose of staff development should also be clearly defined, and in accordance with this, develop activities that will be carried out in the company.
What do you want to achieve? For success, any enterprise or organization needs to improve labor efficiency, outperform competitors, prepare a personnel reserve from promising young employees, create a healthy psychological climate in a team.
This is the benchmark on which yourstaff development strategy.
Personnel training and development
In the work of HR-service it is impossible to underestimate the importance of personnel evaluation. This gives you the opportunity to understand, let's say, the scope of work: you get an idea of the real professional level of employees, their attitude to work.
In addition, find out their personal qualities: what problems remain to be addressed, and what advantages and advantages of each employee will give the opportunity to use them for the benefit of the company.
Let's talk about training employees - the most important link in the system that implements staff development. Education is possible in two formats - individual and group.
In a group format, there are such options: trainings, where they develop managerial and professional skills; seminars, master classes; retraining and advanced training courses; business simulations - modeling business processes that are close to the conditions of the company, which allows you to gain experience in solving various problems.
Today, business simulations that simulate crisis situations in a company are popular. This allows managers to work out crisis management skills and make the right decisions when there are heightened risks for the company.
For example, the popular version - “Diamond Fever”, develops management skills. Teams of 4-6 people participate in the expedition for diamonds. They need to earn as much money as possible in the sale of precious stones.
At the first stage, participants independently analyze information on the cost of diamonds (raw materials), the technology of their cutting, transportation, select distribution channels (wholesale or retail), etc. The resources of time and money are limited, moreover, various obstacles appear .
At the 2nd stage, the teams understand what strategy their rivals have chosen - you need to assess the risks and adjust to the actions of competitors, the victory depends on it.
In the process of business simulation, management skills are trained: data collection, analysis, search for alternative solutions, planning.
What are the advantages of group training - the team-building effect and feedback with colleagues work. In addition, it is economically much more profitable to conduct training for a group of employees than to individually train everyone.
But group training does not make it possible to take into account the individual characteristics of the participants, their level of training.
Individual training and development of personnel is carried out through mentoring, coaching, developmental tasks, internships, temporary replacements (delegation of authority), preparation and implementation of individual development plans.
What are its advantages: take into account the individual characteristics of the employee, the level of his knowledge and skills. Personal approach to each employee is used. Training is quite possible without separation from the main work.
But such training is quite expensive and difficult to implement. Therefore, group format is used for training ordinary personnel and middle management, and individual - with the aim of developing key employees and top-level managers.
And there is also distance learning, which has a number of advantages: affordable price, individual training schedule, the possibility of combining study and work. It can be remote trainings, workshops, master classes, electronic distribution, training courses.
Staff development methods
The professional development of staff can be divided into two groups: on-the-job and off-site training. Training in the workplace is more natural, it takes place in a familiar environment, less expensive. Sometimes involves inviting teachers or business coaches from the side.
Personnel development is carried out by such methods:
- Mentoring - occurs in the process of daily work, by example. More often used when an employee has to master a new type of activity. The employee first learns, watching the work of a mentor, and then performs the actions independently. The errors of the subordinate (and they will be required) must be corrected correctly and patiently.
- Delegation - in this case, the professional development of an employee occurs due to the transfer to him of more important tasks that are not related to his main activity. He clearly outlines the terms of reference.The employee has to learn new information, use unusual methods of work, apply new skills.
- Rotation - an employee is transferred to another position in order to gain additional professional qualifications, to gain new experience. Such a transfer can take from several days to several months.
Training outside the workplace takes place in trainings, seminars and courses through the following methods:
- lectures - the traditional method of vocational training, when the lecturer sets out large volumes of material in a short time;
- case studies - descriptions of completely real or fictional situations that require research, analysis and suggestion of optimal solutions;
- business and role-playing games - collective activities, when participants get roles, play some situation and act within the framework of the role, making decisions.
For example, the business game "Comfort Zone", an educational stress management in connection with the reduction of staff. Three people serve as workers in a rehabilitation center for the unemployed: an administrator, a consultant and a psychologist, the rest are visitors to the center. He trains communication skills in crisis situations, the ability to cope with stress, create a comfort zone.
Social development of staffIt implies its adaptation in the team, its acceptance of the values of the company, the corporate culture and the desire to work for a common goal. Here the main method is team building or team building.
Personnel development is a continuous process that requires an integrated approach. You can not act fragmentary - today held a training, tomorrow sent employees to the courses, and ticked off the events held.
Proven for years, the truth "Live and learn" in this case is very relevant. Personnel need to be motivated to continuously learn new knowledge and skills, active participation in the life of the company.
Many are turning to specialized centers for this purpose, where they provide personnel development services at a professional level.
For mentoring as a method of staff development, see this video: