Nylon Prostheses: Pros and Cons
Modern dentistry is improving every year, and specialists use innovative designs and materials. As for removable structures, not so long ago, nylon dentures began to be used as temporary products, but models gradually improved, and today dentists offer them for permanent wear.
What are the advantages of these devices and whether there are more successful analogues?
Features of nylon as a material for artificial limbs
Nylon is a polymeric material, which, in fact, is an artificially obtained plastic. It has a number of positive characteristics: it is highly durable, very soft and flexible.
Specialists managed to find out that nylon is a biologically compatible and hypoallergenic material that does not lose its color under external influence, including food dyes and other pigment substances.
In addition, its surface does not have pores capable of retaining and accumulating pathogens, odors and microscopic food particles, unlike acrylic and plastic prostheses.All this makes nylon an excellent option for use in the dental industry, as it is free from the drawbacks of its predecessors.
Such an improved polymer is used for prosthetics of patients with diagnosed cancer and in pediatrics.
Installation and features of nylon prostheses
A removable nylon prosthesis is installed on the gums, and its fixation occurs with the help of dentaleveolar locks - clasps made in the form of hooks. They are hooked to live abutment teeth. The fasteners are also made of nylon polymers or silicone, as a result of which they do not differ in hue from the natural tissues of the teeth and are invisible when viewed unaided.
This is an important difference between flexible dentures and metal constructions that were used before and today are considered obsolete. In addition, thanks to the nylon clasps, the device fits perfectly, rigid fixation, it does not loosen and fall out.
Such a constructive solution allows you to keep abutment teeth intact, that is, do not grind them under the crown.
The anatomically correct shape of removable dentures, their insignificant volume and weight give patients the opportunity to get used to wearing dentures in a short time, without feeling significant discomfort. On the Internet, there is often evidence that in some European countries the use of prostheses made of nylon is prohibited, but this is usually incorrect information.
Considering the experience gained in re-profiling the structure from temporary to permanent and existing patient feedback, it can be argued that such a system has established itself as a successful option. It allows you to adjust the dentition, avoiding its curvature and the development of other defects.
Popularity won nylon dentures (reviews confirm this), and the fact that they can be worn constantly, without removing even at the time of sleep. As for the duration of operation, it is a maximum of 7 years, but it all depends on the experience of the specialist, the conditions of use of the device and whether the rules for caring for the prosthesis are observed.
Types of Dentures
There are the following types of removable nylon designs:
Set when missing several adjacent teeth.
Fully removable system.
It is recommended when it comes to edentulousness - the complete or partial absence of teeth, which may occur due to the loss or anomalous development of the dentition; In this case, prosthetics of the dentition is necessary - one or two.
This design is called the "butterfly", the product is made when you need to restore 1-2 teeth.
What denture is needed is decided only by the dentist, based on the condition of the patient’s teeth and jaws.
Advantages of Nylon Prosthetics
Naturally, when the need arises for dental prosthetics and there are several variants of the product, the patient needs to get acquainted with all the pros and cons of various systems. Nylon definitely has some advantages:
- It is more flexible, soft and elastic, compared to other materials. The nylon prosthesis easily adapts to the anatomical features of the human oral cavity and allows you to get used to the new device in a short time.
- It is made as close as possible to the human dental apparatus, therefore it fits snugly enough. You can say - "sits like a glove," does not loosen and does not cause damage to the teeth and gums.
- Differs in durability, even considering its softness. Keeps resistance to high loads, pressure, arising when a person bites and chews food, especially solid foods. These qualities allow the use of nylon prostheses for the correction of the dentition in professional athletes.
- Removable dentures made from this material are very light - they do not press on the mucous membrane, nor do tooth rubbing on tissues.
- The absence of pores in the nylon makes prostheses safe for the health of the oral cavity and maintains freshness and purity of breath.
- In the manufacture of high-quality dyes are used - pigmentation gives the prosthesis a natural appearance, which makes the design aesthetic and invisible.
- A nylon prosthesis is considered a universal device - various prostheses are made of this material, depending on how many teeth are missing.
- The material is low allergenic, that is, it rarely causes allergies. So if a patient has an increased sensitivity to acrylic, metals, silicones, etc., then he is recommended prosthetics using nylon products.
Despite the abundance of positive properties, yet these prostheses have some drawbacks, which the specialist must warn in advance.
Cons prosthetic nylon
In the process of wearing, some qualities of the material exhibit negative properties. For example, excessive flexibility of the polymer leads to uneven distribution of pressure in the process of chewing, and since only part of the prosthesis is involved, this contributes to the emergence of discomfort and pain.
Another disadvantage is the weakening and sagging of the prosthesis due to the above disadvantages. In the future, there is a likelihood of serious inflammation in the tissues of the mouth.Due to such unpleasant nuances, a nylon prosthesis is more often recommended when the teeth are partially missing and the area of the prosthesis is small.
Individual manufacturing of a denture is a long and laborious process, so the patient has to tune in to the expectation. In some cases, from the first visit to the dentist, about the prosthetics, before the installation of the structure takes up to six months.
Moreover, time will be required both for manufacturing and for adjusting the design, it may be necessary to visit the dental office frequently.
After installation, it is also required to be regularly examined so that the doctor can assess the condition of both the device and the oral cavity. For many, an important aspect is the cost of a nylon prosthesis, and it, compared to a silicone or acrylic product, is quite high.
How to care for nylon dentures?
In order for the nylon construction to last as long as possible, it should be maintained properly. The dentist should focus on the main aspects of this process:
- It is necessary to brush teeth regularly - in the morning and in the evening, and it is also desirable to clean after each meal or, if this is not possible, to rinse the mouth with special liquids.
- After the patient has eaten, he should remove the denture and rinse it under running water, and so on each time.
- It is necessary to clean the structure daily, using a professional paste that is capable of removing plaque from nylon, food dyes and other pigments.
- A couple of times a week it is recommended to use floss (filaments), allowing to clean the interdental space well.
- Once every 2-3 days, experts advise the use of irrigators, which are filled with a special liquid intended for disinfection of prostheses.
- To clean the surface of the prosthesis from a soft coating, periodically place it in a solution that dissolves calcareous deposits and disinfects the material.
- Every six months, it is recommended to visit the dentist's office and carry out professional hygienic cleaning of the teeth and mouth.
- It is advisable to protect the prosthesis from possible injury and damage. That is, if you have to participate in active sports, the denture is better for the time being abandoned.
- Nylon deteriorates from drying out, so do not leave it for a long time out of the mouth and liquids.
- If the system is damaged, you should not try to repair it yourself, as well as clean it with means unsuitable for this. In any case, it is worth contacting the specialist who installed it.
Some clinics provide denture repair service, however, this procedure is complicated and expensive, so there is a condition for this not everywhere. Before you install dentures, you should ask where you can go if you have any problems.
A clinic that deals with such prosthetics should have all the necessary equipment, materials and tools to replace a lost or deteriorated crown as needed, change parts of the prosthesis that cause discomfort or loose clammer locks, and clean the nylon surface from the formed stones.
Nylon denture is able to relieve various difficulties - it will return the aesthetic look of the oral cavity and make life easier for the patient. But it is important to seek the help of a qualified specialist and after caring for your teeth and prosthesis. This is a guarantee that the design will last a long time and will not cause trouble.