How to make a fashionable bag with your own hands from an old umbrella?
In the spring, after strong winds and heavy rains, your favorite umbrellas often break. Do not worry - they can be given a second life! How do you like the idea of a bag with your own hands from an old umbrella?
Fabric bag from the umbrella - a great solution for shopping! Here are just a few of the advantages that such a product acquires in comparison with their relatives:
- strength - usually an umbrella canopy is made of a very strong material so that it does not rub and is not rotten due to constant contact with moisture;
- water tightness - everything is clear without words;
- stylish design - fabric for an umbrella is often decorated with bright beautiful patterns, or vice versa - presented in concise universal colors.
Well, inspired to create a simple shopping bag? Then let's create!
Before you sew a bag, prepare all the necessary materials:
- an old umbrella with a dome of 6 wedges;
- thread to tone fabric;
- needle of medium thickness;
The main part of the stitches can be done by hand, but the machine seams will look much neater.
- Lay the dome sections into separate triangles at the seams. Wash them, let them dry completely and iron well (select the mode depending on the fabric you have).
- Lay on the plane 4 triangles as follows: the tops of the first and third should look up, and the second and fourth - down. Let one of the sections be with an umbrella buckle - later we will explain its purpose.
- Sweep the sides of the triangles with each other - do not forget to connect the first and fourth sections - and stitch them to each other with any convenient stitch. You will have a semblance of a sleeve.
- Now determine the sides of the bag - there should be inverted triangles in the front and back in the middle. Turn the product inside out and sew the bottom of the bag, forming the bottom.
- Take 2 more wedges left from the dome, fold them in half and sew free sides into narrower triangles. Attach them to each other with stitched sides and sew - you get a wide long handle, with which you can hang the bag on your shoulder.Sew the edges of the handle to the sides of the product.
Your handmade fabric bag is almost ready! Sew through the upper edge of the product, slightly bending down so that it does not crumble during the socks.
A strip-fastener from an umbrella, dangling from the side, will help you in a few seconds to turn the string bag into a compact bundle that will fit even in a ladies clutch.
Having understood the principle of manufacturing, you can be inspired to tailor bags even from eight-wedge umbrellas.
In the summer, dark leather bags are depressing and seem out of place. They are easily replaced by a bright bag of colorful umbrellas, which exactly fit a beach towel, a bottle of water and a favorite book.
In this master class, materials from two umbrellas are used to make a ready-made bag with your own hands more stylish.
- Repel the fabric from the needles, wash it well, dry and iron.
- Spread matter into wedges.
- As in the previous master class, the bag consists of four pieces of paper - lay out the colored parts in a staggered manner.
- It is better to make pens from materials of the same pattern.
- Attach the 4 triangles to each other along the long sides with a machine stitch.
- Similarly, on the long side, sew 2 wedges for pens, getting a rectangle.
- Paint the resulting part into strips with a width of approximately 5 centimeters each. Cut.
- Fold the ribbons with each other by 2 so that the non-sewn edges are in the middle of the strip. Walk down the center of the decorative zigzag stitch.
- You should have 2 long handles.
- With your own hands, sweep the bottom of the product and stitch it.
- Bend the upper edge of the bag inward a couple of centimeters and stitch it so that it does not crumble.
- Now, in the right place, attach the handles with several stitches for strength - you can sew them both to the inside and to the front.
Bag, sewn with your own hands from an umbrella, is ready! Feel free to combine it with bright summer clothes and go for a walk.
If it seems to you that the handles turned out to be too long, do not worry, simply sew 2 more shorter ones so that the product can be worn not only over the shoulder, but also on the arm.
After practicing on simple frameless models, go to more complex work - for example, how do you like a hand-made bag with patterns and a zipper?
You will need all the same materials as for the creation of the first two models. Add to them the lining fabric - dublerin or flizelin.
- Prepare the material in the same way as in previous workshops: by unzipping, washing and ironing.
- Sew together several parts, forming a long wide flap.
- Draw a future bag on it - we have it in the shape of an oval. Put the cup in random order to the fabric and circle it - you will get the original round pattern.
- Cut out from the lining the same shape of the details as from the main fabric. Attach them to each other. On top of the lining, it is advisable to put a flap of the same fabric that you used on the front side so that the inside of the bag is as beautiful as the outside.
- Prepare a lot of bright thin strips that you will sew on the pattern, sweep it to the main fabric, grasping the lining, stick it. So you get a kind of quilted product that can be worn in winter with down jackets.
- You will also need a long strip equal to the planned width of the bag. Sew a zipper into it.
- Prepare the straps with your own hands on the same principle as in the second master class. Sew on the sides of the job.
- Fold the main part of the bag in half so as to get the front and back parts in the form of semi-oval. Sew a strip of lightning between them.
Lady handbag ready! You can also use this idea to sew a stylish denim bag.
Another roomy bag, made by your own hands from an old umbrella, you can do after watching the following video tutorial: