How to connect ADSL modem?
Watch the video
Many of us have heard of ADSL technology, sinceToday ADSL is still the leader in the broadband data transmission market. Despite its popularity, few know the basic technological principles of this technology. ADSL - Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line, which translates as an asymmetric subscriber line is a special modem data transfer technology, the main purpose of which is asymmetric data bandwidth. Simply put, the speed of incoming data will be higher than the speed of outgoing data. This technology is relevant in our days, as the average user's volume of incoming traffic is many times higher than the amount of outgoing traffic.
Today, the market presents a lot of ADSL modems from different manufacturers. All modems have different characteristics and technical capabilities.
- If you do not know which modem you need, see the article What is the best Internet modem.
- If you are interested in other types of modems (for example, wireless ones), you can find them in the article "What modem to choose."
Self-connection of ADSL modem
So, you ordered from a certain providerconnection to the Internet and purchased an ADSL modem (or the provider provided its own). How to connect adsl modem? The simplest option is to entrust this matter to the technical support of the provider. The representative of the provider will configure your modem yourself, immediately after the network cable is connected to your home. But if you want to do everything yourself, follow these instructions:
- First of all, carefully read the instructions tomodem. According to the instructions, prepare it for operation - connect the network cable Internet and the cable that leads to your PC, install all necessary software.
- Each provider when connecting to the Internetgives instructions with data to connect. Start any Internet browser on your PC and enter 192.168.0.1 in the address bar to access the modem's control panel.
- Usually, a special disk with software is provided complete with the modem to facilitate setting up access to the Internet. If such software is available, use it.
- In the control panel of the modem it is necessary to setParameters that are specified in the connection instructions (they are issued by the provider). Typically, this is the IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS server addresses. After you enter this information, configure the network connection on the computer.
- Go to the Start menu and go to the Control Panel. Select Network Management Center.
- In the window that opens, select Change adapter settings. On the Network Connections tab, select a valid connection to your modem. Click on the icon with the right key and open Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP / IPv4) and click Properties.
- Depending on the settings that the provider specified, enter all the required information or select Automatic settings.
You can also find useful information about connecting to the Internet in the article How to connect to the Internet.