Headache: help yourself
Headache is a symptom of many diseases. Proper diagnosis of its causes will help prescribe the correct treatment. But it is the prerogative of the medical profession. And how can we help ourselves with frequent headaches? Let's figure it out together.
Frequent headache: causes and manifestations
Statistics show: periodic headaches occur in 80% of the adult population of the planet. In every third case, they lead to a decrease in performance, drastic mood swings and a deterioration in the quality of life. If you are among those who are not indifferent to this problem, our article will be useful for you.
There are a great many causes of headaches, since such symptoms are characteristic of a large number of diseases. We list the most common.
|Causes of headache||Headache|
|Migraine||A throbbing, severe headache concentrating in one place (for example, the temple of the head, the forehead, the back of the head), accompanied by nausea and vomiting.Intolerance of bright light, loud sounds and strong smells. The duration of the attack can reach 3 days. Often inherited and can manifest itself even in children. Attacks cease after 60 years.|
|Voltage||Pressing headache, almost never strong. Attacks are short in time, but can be repeated daily.|
|Atherosclerosis (impaired blood supply to the brain as a result of deterioration in the patency of blood vessels)||Breaking headache, localized in one of the areas of the brain. Most often manifested in the afternoon. The patient may complain of "flies" before his eyes.|
|Hypertension (high blood pressure)||Intense throbbing headache, most often starting in the morning and squeezing the whole head like a vice. Physical exertion, an unstable emotional state, noise, strong odors, etc. can provoke an attack.|
|Hypotension (low blood pressure)||Dull arching pain that appears in the morning and almost disappears by the middle of the day. Her companions: weakness, numbness of the tongue, blue skin of the hands, chest pain.|
|Flu or SARS||Slight headache, covering the forehead, eyes and temporal region. The patient has a fever, a cold starts, a sore throat can occur.|
|Meningitis||Severe headache with high fever. Related symptoms: muscle tension in the back of the head, vomiting, nausea. At the same time there is no cough, no rhinitis, or other signs of a cold.|
|Malignant and benign tumors||Frequent weak lasting headaches, accompanied by morning nausea.|
|Sinusitis, sinusitis||Chronic pressing headaches in the eyes, forehead, jaws. In parallel, nasal congestion and a slight increase in body temperature are noted.|
|Otitis||Sharp pains in the area of the parotid space (“shoots” in the ear). The spread of pain to other parts of the head and the appearance of nausea can be a sign of a complication of the disease.|
Important! The substance of the brain, prone to the formation of tumors, is devoid of pain receptors - it can not feel pain. Therefore, it appears at a late stage, when the disease has already affected the vessels and the lining of the brain.
To reduce the risk of and frequent recurrences of headaches, doctors recommendtake the following preventive measures:
1. Avoid physical and mental overload. In everything there should be a measure, overstrain is fraught with unpleasant consequences.
2. Alternate work with rest. Recuperation has a positive effect on immunity and, as a result, reduces the likelihood of pain attacks.
3. Frequently walk in fresh air. Ensuring the cardiovascular system with oxygen in sufficient volume has a positive effect on overall health.
4. Sleep at least 8 hours a day. So much time the body needs to restore vitality. Anxious sleep does not give a good rest and serves as a reason for turning to a neuropathologist.
5. Do not give in to emotions and avoid stress. They reduce the body's resistance to disease and lead to blood pressure surges.
6. Exercise, but be sure to adjust the degree of load. Exercise “trains” the vessels, allowing them to remain elastic for longer and reducing the likelihood of spasmodic pain.
7. Eat healthy foods. Try to exclude from the diet fatty, fried, cholesterol-containing foods, because they lead to atherosclerosis.Enter into your menu restores vitality dates, enhancing immunity citrus, normalizing metabolism apples.
8. Give up bad habits (alcohol, smoking, overeating). Diseases will always be their companions. Is it worth paying for a five-minute pleasure with health?
By following these tips, you can avoid many problems and extend your life for a dozen years.
Diagnosing the cause of headaches
What if we are faced with the fact of frequent headaches? In no case do not self-medicate, but go to a doctor who is able to diagnose the disease professionally, determine the causes of its occurrence and prescribe treatment.
In the arsenal of modern medicine there are such research methods as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), electroencephalography (EEG), ultrasound (US) and methods of biochemical analysis of blood.
Be prepared for the fact that the doctor will try to get you a maximum of information regarding the development of the disease. Therefore, observe the occurrence of headaches and try to answer the following questions:
one.When did you first feel a headache and what preceded it?
2. Describe your feelings: nature, strength, localization of pain.
3. How often and how long do you have a headache?
4. What provokes seizures (stress, menstruation, poor (irregular, poor in proteins and vitamins) nutrition, overload)?
5. What are the associated symptoms (nasal congestion, physical weakness, dizziness, nausea)?
The most difficult thing is to diagnose one-year-old babies who cannot say what and where they have pain. Therefore, parents need to pay attention to the change in the behavior of the little one, his loss of appetite, the appearance of lethargy or overexcitement, tension of the muscles of the neck, an atypical reaction to stimuli, later overgrowth of spring.
All this testifies to the fact that the child may be disturbed by a headache, and is a reason for an immediate appeal to the pediatrician.
A qualified specialist will determine what caused the painful symptoms: disturbances in the central nervous system, intrauterine hypoxia (oxygen deprivation due to cord entanglement) or birth trauma.
In pregnant women, frequent headaches can be a sign of preeclampsia (a complication of the course of pregnancy associated with increased pressure and swelling). With him comes the melting of the "flies" before his eyes, convulsive contractions of muscles and a state of depression. Such complications are a threat to the life of the fetus and the health of the mother, and therefore require urgent medical intervention.
How to help yourself if the cause of the pain is clear
If you know the cause of the headache, but you don’t have the necessary medications at hand, experts at the best medical sites advise you to use the available tools and methods to reduce pain, if not relieve.
|Causes of headache||Ways to fight|
Eliminate external stimuli (harsh light, loud noise).
Drink green tea.
Attach something cold to the back of the head.
Make massage of pain points with lemon oil.
Drink tea with peppermint and honey.
Make a warm compress on the neck and occipital zone.
Massage the area of the temples, forehead, nose.
Exit to fresh air to saturate the body with oxygen.
Ensure a free flow of fresh air.
Make a hot bath (40-45 degrees) for the legs, duration - up to 30 minutes.
Put a mustard plaster on the back of the head.
Heat a heater with a compress or neck, forehead and nose.
Drink strong hot coffee or sweet hot tea with lemon.
Drink a little brandy or red wine (better Cahors).
Take a hot bath (in the absence of high temperature).
Massage the fingers (along the entire length), giving each 2-3 minutes.
Pour brandy in your mouth and hold for 1-2 minutes, not swallowing.
Ventilate the room, ensuring unhindered access of air.
Hold a 10-minute steam inhalation, which will reduce the swelling of the nasal sinuses and ease the pain.
We deliberately do not mention drugs and medical procedures. Their purpose - the lot of doctors. Do not self-medicate, entrust your health to professionals.
Grandma's headache recipes
Folk remedies for headache can be used as first aid, if the attack happened suddenly, there is no necessary medicine on hand. Try one of the ways our grandmothers have experienced:
1. Lean your forehead against the window glass. The cold will ease your condition.
2Attach to the temples and forehead mashed fresh (to make juice) fresh cabbage leaves. Remove this compress you need after the pain stops.
3. Massage into whiskey and 1-2 drops of clove oil.
4. Soften lemon zest in hot water, and then apply to temples for 10-15 minutes. To put such a "compress" is better in the prone position.
5. Grate raw potatoes on a coarse grater. Cover the frontal and temporal areas with the resulting gruel and put on a warm hat. The duration of the procedure is 1 hour.
Enumerate ways to deal with a headache can be infinitely long, but do not forget about the main rule of doctors - "Do no harm!", Which is quite applicable for ordinary people. Do not try to cure yourself. Let those who turned this business into the profession be engaged in healing. And we will help you choose the best doctor and not get on the amateur.