Auto Insurance CTP or
OSAGO(compulsory third-party liability insurance), or, more simply,autocitizen- an integral part of the automotive life of any Ukrainian car owner. According toThe Law of Ukraine "On Compulsory Insurance of Civil Liability of Owners of Land Vehicles"effective January 1, 2005, the acquisition of this type of insurance becamemandatory for allvehicle owners. It should be noted that this practice is used in many civilized countries of the world. Its main goal is to create financial guarantees for damages in the event of an accident. Simply put - a guarantee that the injured party will be able to receive material compensation for the damage incurred, regardless of the solvency of the perpetrator (compensation for the material damage caused by the driver of the vehicle is assumed by his company-insurer).
Among other types of auto insurance CTP is fairly simple and straightforward.Moreover, due to changes in legislation, since September 19, 2011, there is only one type of autocitizen policy policy, which insures the liability of any driver who legally drives a vehicle specified in the agreement. As a rule, the CTP policy is purchased for a period ofone year. Exceptions are only vehicles with temporary registration or registered abroad - for them the term of insurance may varyfrom 15 days to 1 year.
It should be noted that the procedure for obtaining the autocitizen policy is very simple and does not require much time. There is no special paperwork, you only need to have the following documents with you:
- Ukrainian passport;
- an identification number;
- driver's license of the relevant category;
- certificate of registration of the vehicle (datasheet);
- inspection certificate (if the vehicle is subject to mandatory inspection).
The contract itself is very standard, since its form is enshrined in law. However, this does not prevent individual companies from making certain changes in it in order to attract additional customers.Thus, various insurers include such additional services as autocitizers in the policy, such as free evacuation from the accident site, fuel delivery, emergency call teams for minor repairs, etc. Do not forget about the possibility of receiving bonuses for the extension of the insurance, if the previous period was trouble-free. In addition, legislatively fixed benefits for pensioners, disabled persons of group II, participants of the war, as well as for victims of the disaster at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant.
So, let's get to the main point. What does an ordinary car owner get from legalized compulsory insurance? As mentioned above, the main purpose of the CTP policy is in the event of an accident to cover losses that you can inflict on property and the health of third parties. However, it’s not a fact that having a policy in all cases completely relieves you from financial liability to the affected party. Thus, according to the law, the maximum amount of payments for damage to property of third parties may not exceed 50 thousand hryvnia for each victim (no more than five persons). In the event of damage to the health or life of the victims, the amount of insurance payments will not exceed 100 thousand hryvnia per victim.
A separate point is to consider such an important point as the cost of the insurance policy CTP. It should be noted that the cost of an autocitizen policy can vary greatly, since it is determined by a number of different parameters. Among them: the type of vehicle and the scope of its use (private or commercial), engine size, minimum driver experience, place of registration of the vehicle (taking into account the population) and insurance period. It follows that the more your car has, say, engine size, the larger the city where it is registered, the more expensive the insurance (especially if it also has a commercial nature of use).
And finally, we should not turn to the most pleasant, but very important topic: what should we do if the accident happened? Insurance companies are least of all willing to part with their money, covering the material damage caused by you or you, so you should follow certain actions as much as possible in the event of an accident:
- After the accident, it is imperative to call the traffic police, take contact (preferably passport) information from the other party, and also call the hotline of your insurance agency.It would not be superfluous to trace that another participant in the accident, especially if he is guilty, informed his insurer about what had happened.
- Upon the arrival of the traffic police, it is necessary to carefully monitor that the crash scheme they have drawn up is not distorted, and also to hear how the second party sets out his vision of the incident. In case of disagreement, be sure to include this in the protocol. In many cases, payments on OSAGO are delayed until the court decision is precisely because it is not clear who the perpetrator of the incident is.
3. Over the next maximum of three days, you should arrive at the payment center of the company - the insurer of the person responsible for the accident and write a statement about the occurrence of the insured event. And it is necessary to take with you a standard package of documents (passport, driver's license, certificate of registration of the vehicle, insurance policy and identification number), as well as a certificate from the traffic police. If you need an extended help from the traffic police - it is better to get it yourself, because it will take much less time (about two weeks) than if the insurer does. True, this will result in additional expenses for you (about 100 hryvnia).
four.The next step is to provide a damaged vehicle for inspection by the insurance company's service center to determine the amount of damages. Further, various insurance companies either repair the vehicle at their own expense at the partner service station, or give the victim the equivalent amount of money (which is more preferable, since in this case you decide which service station and at what price to repair).
It is impossible not to mention another way of registration of an accident in order to obtain insurance CTP. For quite some time now, every auto-citizen policy is completed with a form for registration of an accident unified throughout Europe, which in certain cases can replace a certificate from the traffic police when receiving insurance. According to the changes made to the Law of Ukraine of February 17, 2011, in an accident with minor consequences (no injured and dead) and a loss of less than 10 thousand hryvnia for each participant, drivers of injured vehicles can use the joint filling of the Euro Protocol form without calling the traffic police. In this case, the participants may leave the accident site and are exempt from administrative liability.according toArticle 124 of the Code of Administrative Offenses for the creation of an accident.